Pages

Friday 18 July 2014

Summertime

I LOVE SUMMER.  I love the sun, love the heat, love the flowers, love the beach, love the long evenings, love summer clothes.... I could go on listing all the things I love about summer, but one of my very best things about summer is my garden and my wonderful roses.  I have a small garden but I counted my roses the other day and I have 14!  That's a lot of roses in one small garden!!!  They are all different and all scented - light pink, dark pink, white, yellow, deep red.

I should of course at this point show some pictures of my roses but unbelievably I haven't taken any this year.  So instead I did a journal page which was really inspired by the heat of summer and summer flowers.  I didn't think I could paint a rose so I've used flower stencils (didn't have a rose stencil) and punches instead:


The backround is yellow and a small amount of pink scraped with a credit card.  I was amazed when it resulted in this wonderful texture and colour.  I wanted to keep the warmth so the stencilling is all in white:


The ric rac was white and I dyed it green for the stems by running an ink pad over them.  The flowers are made using punched hearts:


I liked the punched hearts negative so stuck that down too:


What a beautiful world we live in!  I made a card celebrating creation recently (see it here) and this page follows on.  Our God truly is the awesome Creator.  He's blessed us with infinite variety and wonderful beauty and its so good to be able to enjoy it.

I'm linking up at:

17 comments:

  1. Your beautiful pages are indeed full of the essence of special summertime...they glow!
    Lucky you having so many roses...
    never enough flowers in my mind :-)
    oxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty and I echo your sentiments re Summer - I love everything about it - apart from the fact that some things close down and some friends go away..love those flowers. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh how lovely your rose garden must be! I feel just as you do about summer and you have captured its essence so beautifully on your flower power journal spread!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely page, Susan. Love the background layers...and flowers are cute

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like the dimension of your flowers, especially with the ric rac. A neat touch, indeed. Very fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pages Susan, I love the warm colours and the flowers are gorgeous ! Thanks for joining us at CVC. Sue C

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brilliant piece, love how you put it together, so summery and cheerful! Thanks so much for adding it to our challenge at Our Creative Corner and Countryview challenges

    ReplyDelete
  8. The background is gorgeous and colours and flowers full of summer.
    Beautiful artwork.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous summery artjournal spread! Your handmade fowers look
    great on it!
    Groetjes Karin (OCC)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loving this spread Susan! Can I have it on a quilt????? LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your colors!! Love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful summer colours and a very creative background, thanks so much for playing with Our creative corner!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wunderschön!!! Da versteht man den Spruch: Blumen sind das Lächeln der Erde.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful! Thanks so much for joining us this month at Our Creative Corner! x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful colours and love the stencilling ! What great weather we have had in UK this summer now my husband is a bit happier about being here [ he is from Cyprus] !

    ReplyDelete