Pages

Friday 7 November 2014

Slaying the Giant of Fear

My current devotional (Every Day With Jesus) is called Bringing Down Giants, specifically the things in our lives that get in the way of our being free and living the lives we are called to.  The first giant discussed is FEAR - fear of failure, fear of rejection, fear of old age, fear of heights, etc.  Selwyn Hughes (the author) says that to deal with fear we need to separate the real from the imaginary - so often our fears spring from overactive imaginations!  We need to avoid unhealthy coping mechanisms like denial, overeating, drinking, etc.  We need to look fear straight in the face and we need to learn the art of prayer, because when we pray fears will dissolve in the presence of God.

Here is my art journal page.  This is a page over a page, meaning I really didn't like what I did and painted over the whole lot in a really thick coat of pink.  When it was dry I brayered black roughly all over:

I must say that every time I do this, paint over a page I don't like, I get a really interesting effect - maybe I should do a dummy run on every page :)  Because of the texture underneath all I added was some stencilling:






I added a tag with journaling on the back and attached with repositional glue dots.  This was a tag from my big pile of half finished tags and things.  On this one I had been playing with a crackle effect out of glue and white  paint, not that successful but just right for this page.  I finished it in the same way as the page.


Did you notice the string on the tag?  Quite by accident when I laid it down the string was in the form of a P - p is for prayer!   

I pray that if you are facing a giant of fear you can take up your weapon of prayer, come into the Lord's presence and see that fear dissolve.

Blessings and peace.

I'm linking up at:

11 comments:

  1. Susan, it is fabulous, I love that contrast between the tag and the journal page, that the tag you have the harlequin strong and the dots faded, while on the spread you have the opposite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is a great page and wonderful way to address FEAR - with PRAYER!
    Great post. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan, your page is great but what you wrote pierced my heart and I think I really need to go find that book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my...what a gorgeous page! Very powerful and I love what you wrote about fear, it can be so damaging if we don't take it to the Lord.
    Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That background looks great, Susan! The colours work really well together and I just love the stenciling! The thinker paint layer has a nice, textured look as well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this page! It really sings with that black, pink and white!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Prayer is the answer, thanks for sharing. Visiting from AEDM.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the texture and depth in this page!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great page with such an interesting work with texture and patterns!!
    I totally agree with what you write, and for me too, prayer as well as meditation are incredible ressources to keep the peace within me and go ahead. Blessings to you Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great color combo, interesting texture which you could not produce if you wanted to, o happy accidents :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous page!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like a very good devotional!!

    ReplyDelete