Pages

Friday 3 July 2015

Summer of Colour 4 - Red Red Gold

Its already week 4 at Summer of Colour where we have to create anything we like using the colours of the week which are 2 shades of one colour plus one other colour.  This week was a real challenge, we had to use red, red and gold!  Now I love red, but 2 reds?  Challenge was the  name of the game!


I wanted to use stencils because that is what the current challenge is at PaperArtsy but actually mainly because I love stencils and use them on nearly everything!

After a promising start stencilling a wall in black, white and gold the page quickly became one of those pages where everything goes wrong!  I wanted to use my favourite PaperArtsy flower stencil Jofy 009 with my home made texture paste tinted in one of the reds. Also to do the bump technique which Leandra showed in a video where you stencil a dark colour first, then move the stencil just a little and use a lighter colour giving a lovely shadow.  My first layer was black.  Then the trouble began.  The texture paste was too runny because I used too much paint and I had started on the left hand side of my journal where the textures on the previous pages were giving me a bumpy surface - not good for texture paste!  My bump shadow effect was distinctly blurry.  Next, I added my second red to the flowers and hated it!  So I covered it in gold.  Anyway, enough already, I kept going and this was the final result:


I went around some of the flower parts with a black pen to bring back some of the shadow effect:


I like to have crisp edges when I'm using my texture paste but sometimes you just have to go with the flow.  I wrote the words on paper painted with the dark red and added the splatters and spots in the other red. 

Sometimes our old preconceived ideas or ingrained habits prevent us from growing or developing and we need to sweep them aside to learn something new.


I had way too much texture paste left so scraped the remainder on the facing page.  Obviously still very much in red mode I painted all over it with the bright red - did I really want to do another page for this week's colours?!  Yes!  My first page only had a bit of red, I needed to go really RED, or RED RED:


I painted the flowers in the dark red, added gold through a stencil and for the flower centres, and black through a dotty card which I also used as a stamp to get the reverse:


I outlined the flowers to lift them:


And the words?  Well I used to be a perfectionist, but I'm learning to simply enjoy the process.  Not quite there yet but I've made big progress!

I'm linking up at:
PaperArtsy - Stencil challenge
Summer of Colour at Twinkle Twinkle
Art Journal Every Day
Creative Every Day

23 comments:

  1. Beautiful work for SOC, love the idea with the wall. Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them!!! Working with reds is so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cool, love the beautiful wall.

    Have a great weekend!

    Love and hugs
    Maarit

    ReplyDelete
  4. After all the tribulations your pages worked out fine! Love the stencil work and the colours are clean and bright.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i really like the writing in the back ground and the bricks and colors. lovely pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Both of your pages are fabulous. I love the quotes you have used on both too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's good that you kept on going, I really like that first piece!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really do love your brick piece. It looks so beautiful and textural. They're both wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you kept going on your piece because the end result is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think these are wonderful Susan and so much fun. I gave up trying for perfect years ago and would be happy to achieve results like this - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea! This looks super lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love both of your works of art, Susan! I really like how you used different techniques for the backgrounds! And the sayings are both wonderful and words to live by! You used this week's SOC colors beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  13. LOVE how your pages turned out-especially the first one with the brick wall-that is a very cool stencil!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful journal pages! I especially like the first one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice...and I can see that you loosened up in the second one! I think we all have trouble out of our comfort zone!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Both are beautiful! Great use of the three colours!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful use of the colours

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did an incredible job with the colors! Always love your work Susan.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great journal pages and quotes. Have a lovely day x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, but sometimes people try to rebuild what you're trying to take down! Great page, and congrats on winning the giveaway :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Super page, love the wall and the flowers are brilliant, I can't see anything wrong at all, sorry I am a week behind... BJ

    ReplyDelete